User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Endless website redesign

Endless website redesign
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #100940, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:17, 29/3/2007, in reply to message #100938
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

And, in true jumping-on-the-bandwagon style:

http://www.softrock.co.uk/newdesign.html
Am I the only person here who isn't redesigning my website at the moment? tongue
No, you're not alone. I'm not redesigning your website, either tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #100943, posted by VincceH at 11:53, 29/3/2007, in reply to message #100938
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

And, in true jumping-on-the-bandwagon style:

http://www.softrock.co.uk/newdesign.html
Am I the only person here who isn't redesigning my website at the moment? tongue
Well my old layout and design is amatuerish and quite pathetic. I've been wanting to do a new version for some time. (Plus I've said on a number of occasions that I'd redesign it to use CSS when I felt Netsurf had been developed far enough - and that point was reached a long time back.)

I'm not particularly keen on the way I've done the logo in the new design, but I've done it that way partly for technical reasons - which include my inexpertise with CSS. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #101055, posted by rich at 10:40, 2/4/2007, in reply to message #100943
Rich
Dictator for life
*threadjack*
I just had to convert a theme from one part of our system at work to another. It's essentially a table to make a rounded-corner box.

* It worked fine in IE.
* It left gaps between the rows in Firefox.

After some jiggling with the code I used the Web Developer plugin to outline the table cells, and find it's leaving space below the images for text; later I find reducing the text size reduces the gap, only there's no text there - no spaces (I stripped out everything!), no text in alt tags, nothing.

I got the web designer chappy to check, and he saved it to disc, loaded it in Dreamweaver... and it worked fine when he saved it back out.

So, the HTML Tidy plugin told me it was valid HTML, but I used it to reformat the code - essentially adding back in all the spaces I'd stripped out. And on reloading the page, it worked in Firefox.

But not in IE.

So I then had to fix IE by making the "text" 1pt, even though there wasn't supposed to be any text in there.

All for one fucking table so someone can say "this is my domain - I don't want it, do you want to buy it?"
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #101056, posted by tlsa at 11:00, 2/4/2007, in reply to message #101055

Did you try display:block; on the image?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #101057, posted by flibble at 11:07, 2/4/2007, in reply to message #101055
flibble

*threadjack*
Try adding
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
at the top of the page, it alters Firefox's table layout model considerably.

On my most recent design, without it, Firefox was inserting 'font sized' height into cells that had no text in.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #101059, posted by rich at 11:32, 2/4/2007, in reply to message #101057
Rich
Dictator for life
*threadjack*
Try adding
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
at the top of the page, it alters Firefox's table layout model considerably.

On my most recent design, without it, Firefox was inserting 'font sized' height into cells that had no text in.
It already had a transitional declaration, but it was XHTML not HTML, which might have made a difference. But anyway, it's fixed; a combination of HTML Tidy reformatting and some style tags got it working.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #121865, posted by flibble at 15:26, 4/2/2013, in reply to message #100045
flibble

Not for the first time I'm having a go redesigning my website.
It's nearly 6 years since I last redesigned it, and I'm getting bored of green!

Time for some mockups.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #121868, posted by flibble at 21:39, 5/2/2013, in reply to message #121865
flibble

Not for the first time I'm having a go redesigning my website.
It's nearly 6 years since I last redesigned it, and I'm getting bored of green!

Time for some mockups.

I've given up trying to do my own designs, I'm raiding free template libraries.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Bryan Hogan Message #121871, posted by helpful at 02:40, 6/2/2013, in reply to message #121868
Yuk, all fixed width unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #121873, posted by flibble at 10:30, 6/2/2013, in reply to message #121871
flibble

That is pretty easily fixed. But at the moment I'm just looking at design. To be honest, I might stick with fixed width, by the time most of my pages scale up to 1920 wide the content becomes less easy to read, not more.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #121874, posted by trevj at 12:04, 6/2/2013, in reply to message #121873
That is pretty easily fixed.
Shouldn't that be unfixed?...
To be honest, I might stick with fixed width...
...oh, perhaps "fixed" was right, then.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #121882, posted by flibble at 16:15, 6/2/2013, in reply to message #121868
flibble

Number 3 was my favourite, so I've bunged it into my CMS, with some actual content.

http://www.marutan.net/comp/v3/index.php

It is very restrained compared to the green site big grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #121886, posted by trevj at 09:15, 7/2/2013, in reply to message #121882
It is very restrained compared to the green site big grin
And it's not green enough!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Endless website redesign